[dropcap]M[/dropcap]oving to a new country is a big transition that can be exciting but also very challenging, especially for the accompanying spouse or partner of a relocating employee or student. While the relocated individual has the opportunity to build a new community through their close contact with coworkers, bosses or fellow students, the accompanying spouse or partner often receives little or no support.
To address these issues at the University of California – Berkeley, I created a class called “Creating a Fulfilling Life in America®” for the spouses and partners of postdocs, visiting scholars, researchers and graduate students. This class not only teaches the spouses about American culture and values but also supports them in making friends, finding volunteer work and other meaningful activities, nurturing themselves and the couple relationship, and more. This class can be customized to meet the needs of your business or organization.
If you are an individual, I can support you as well. From my own experience living and working abroad, and my work with spouses who have relocated from nearly 40 different countries, I understand the challenges you may be facing:
- You may be having a hard time adjusting to living in a new country.
- Cultural differences may be confusing. You don’t understand why Americans “act like that.”
- You’re lonely and aren’t sure how to meet new people here.
- You want to reinvent yourself and find a new career, or find work in your current career.
- You’re wondering how to find volunteer work or other meaningful activities.
- You need information on services, recreation, shopping, schools, etc. in the local area.
- You need to improve your English but don’t know where to begin.
I can help you in all of these areas, and more:
- Understanding the process of transition and culture shock.
- Understanding American culture and values.
- Creating a new social and professional network.
- Coaching you on strategies for meeting people — especially Americans.
- Exploring your interests and skills with you and advising you on volunteer opportunities.
- Coaching you on American-style resumes and interviewing skills.
- Giving you lots of information on resources in your community.
Most importantly, I can motivate you to create–and follow through–on your own action plan. As your coach and mentor, I can give you the support, encouragement and guidance you need to create a fulfilling and meaningful life for yourself here in America!
For more information on Creating a Fulfilling Life in America® or individual services, please contact me.